Sunday, June 22, 2008

Your Crumbling Past - Cony High School

School Bus Parking - Not Any More

Photos By Justin Franz

When you leave a place, even if it for only a year, things change. For me that change was the removal of Cony High School in Augusta, Maine, where I attended for four years. For the first three years we were in a 1960s era building that had been added on to the original school dating back to the early 1900s. In my Senior year we moved to a new building, leaving the run down and tired 60s era school behind. The original school has been preserved, yet the addition was taken down early in the Summer of 2008.
By the time I returned to Augusta in May I was quite surprised to see how much was gone and decided to record what was left before it was too late. So late one night recently I headed down to shoot what was left. Here are the results. Within days this section of the building would be gone.


While setting up on the sidewalk an Augusta cop pulled up. Within a few moments he was helping with lighting from his car. Talk about luck!

Preserved: The Old Flat Iron building will survive as a monument to Augusta's past.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey its Zach Snowden, redundancy there, I was just missing Maine and looking up photos on the old Google when I came upon your blog. Nice times to remember this and all the stuff that happened in that Cony. Glad I found this and awesome photos by the way. See ya.